Less space and weight, lower construction costs, and faster installation
Modern ships are highly automated, self-contained chemical plants that operate for several weeks at sea without resupply. That’s why StoneL is working with shipbuilders around the globe to overcome difficulties. By finding better solutions to integrate vessel’s automated valve systems, space constraints, weight limitations, construction cost caps, and installation deadlines are minimized.
New technologies and increasing demand:
- Marine Applications Brochure download
- Marine Applications Brochure request printed version
- Marine Industry whitepaper “Valve commissioning and maintenance with wireless technology”
- Marine Industry whitepaper “Easy on/off valve integration with AS-interface for marine application”
Platform and Offshore Support Vessels (PSV, OSV) are instrumental in bringing necessary supplies and materials to offshore drilling platforms. These vessels need to be versatile, configurable, and reliable to remain at sea for weeks at a time.
Overcoming the loss of command signals with process control valves is one of the many challenges StoneL anticipates with shipbuilding clients. As a result, we offer manually or remotely activated pneumatic overrides that can drive the main pilot valve spool to a predetermined safe condition.
StoneL: Setting the standard in valve communication networks for marine vessels
StoneL is one of the first manufacturers of valve communication and control devices to promote shipboard networks in the marine industry. We have been an innovator in creating robust networking components suitable for harsh process/shipboard applications. StoneL has supplied hundreds of conventional and networked valve monitors into marine vessels operating all over the world with a full array of safe, reliable, quality products.
Axiom valve communication terminal (VCT)
The Axiom was designed to address the challenges of the marine industry using advanced, proven technologies. The Axiom discrete valve controller is available in four unique configurations that can be ordered with multiple options to fulfill your preferences. Our standard solid state devices, our advanced network-enabled diagnostic devices and our Wireless Link capabilities share most of the same components and functions:
- Low profile
- VDI/VDE 3845 (NAMUR) actuator mounting
- Integral solenoid valve(s)
- Non-contact position sensing with push button limit switch setting
- Wiring terminations or quick connector
- Visual mechanical and electronic LED position indicators
- Network capable options: AS-Interface, Foundation Fieldbus, or DeviceNet
- Manual and pneumatic overrides available
- Advanced valve diagnostics versions available
- Rated and approved for use in hazardous locations.
- Secure, convenient remote access with wireless link option
StoneL’s FieldLink products and services enable automated valves and instruments to interconnect with the ship’s control system using standardized, proven, field-based communication protocols such as AS-Interface, DeviceNet, Modbus, Profibus, Foundation Fieldbus, and more.
Our BPM works with an AS-Interface network to identify and isolate a short circuit in the VCT or the main bus trunk. When a fault occurs in a field device or bus segment the device or segment is isolated, allowing the remaining devices and network to continue normal operation. When used in conjunction with the Axiom with dual coil shuttle piston solenoid, BPMs improve safety by helping to prevent loss of process control.
StoneL offers a full array of components to cost effectively and reliably complete the valve communication network. That includes power supplies, control system interfacing gateways/masters, robust protected drop connector systems and connectivity accessories to tie the automated valve into shipboard control systems.